Tribler release 7.12.1 is out!

Dear Tribler Community,

Today we’re releasing the Tribler 7.12.1 version.

Overview

• This release should greatly improve the speed and stability of Tribler startup:
    • Now, if a user has a large number of downloads, Tribler windows should open much faster.
    • All different errors of type “Tribler GUI cannot connect to Tribler Core” should go away.
    • Tribler should not crash anymore while copying files from the previous directory.
    • The copying of the state directory is now atomic, and files should not be corrupted if the copying is interrupted in the middle.
  • No more orphan Core processes if the GUI process was suddenly terminated.
  • The token balance is now hidden until the algorithm for calculating the balance is updated.
  • Some bugs that caused Tribler crashes were fixed.

The full list of bug fixes is available here.

The binaries are available below, or you can download them from the official release page at the GitHub repository:

Note: Some antivirus software falsely flags the Windows 32-bit version of Tribler. When investigating the issue, we found that the Python builder we use (PyInstaller) is being flagged even for a simple hello world program. So, your antivirus might flag Tribler as malware if you’re using the 32-bit version. Therefore, we suggest you use the 64-bit version if you can.

If you encounter any problems using this release, you can create an issue ticket on GitHub or post it here in this forum.

For developers willing to contribute to Tribler with bug fixes or new features, please check out the Tribler contributing page, which provides the basic guidelines.

And as always, you can find the Tribler source code on our Github repository or download it directly.

We hope you’ll enjoy using this version.
Cheers!

EDIT: Questions were answered below, everything is fine!

I am a bit alarmed right now.

• The Exit Node setting is removed. How do I see now if my client gets used as an exit node? Is it activated or deactivated per default?

• According to the Task Manager, my client was uploading and downloading data even when I had no active downloads. What is going on? Of course I feared that the client was being used as an exit node at that point and quickly closed the application.

I will not use Tribler until you can clarify this situation.

Thank you!

EDIT: Questions were answered below, everything is fine!

Hi!

1. Now Tribler client cannot be an exit node. The option was removed to preclude the possibility that the user becomes an exit node by accident without understanding all consequences.

2. It is normal when a Tribler client has incoming and outgoing traffic without being an exit node. Clients connect to exit nodes not directly but via intermediate nodes for better anonymization. These intermediate nodes never connect to the outside world directly; they just pass data from other clients to exit nodes. Your Tribler client also works as an intermediate node for other clients. It is safe for you because only exit nodes send the actual requests to the outer world.

1 Like

Thank you for your explanation! I am quite relieved now. :slight_smile:
I edited my original post.