Tribler 7 release

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce the release of Tribler 7. Downloads:

Windows (64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

Tribler 7 is one of our biggest releases so far and has been in development for almost two years. Since the latest release, we changed 1,070 files in our codebase (with 80,073 additions and 99,227 deletions). We closed over 400 issues on our Github repository, fixed hundreds of bugs and made major improvements to the user interface and torrent downloading mechanism. We added a blockchain fabric to Tribler to accurately keep track of bandwidth contributions on a dedicated page in the user interface. This innovation allows us to build new features to make Tribler more stable, faster and secure to use. You can find a complete list of all changes we made here. We hope you enjoy this release and if you encounter any issues, please let us know by opening an issue on our Github repository or by posting on our forum.

Contributions are more than welcome! If you wish to contribute to Tribler by fixing bugs, please check out this page which contains some basic pointers to get started with Tribler development.

The source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Great news!
If I have version 6.5.1. installed, will my active downloads (and their status) be transfered to version 7 or do I have to wait untill all downloads are finished?

@Borgall your downloads should be transferred to the new version of Tribler. To be safe, you can make a temporary copy of your settings directory (please refer to the small guide below on where to find this directory). If you have any questions, please let me know :+1:

Under Windows, depending on the version and settings, either of these two:
%APPDATA%.Tribler
%APPDATA%\roaming.Tribler
You can enter the %APPDATA% directory by opening an explorer, typing %APPDATA% in the address bar and then hitting Enter.
Under Linux or Mac the .Tribler directory is stored in your home directory, /home/USERNAME/.Tribler (or ~/.Tribler). Note that, since it begins with a ., it will be hidden by default. Search the web to find out how to see hidden files depending on your environment ( Ubuntu / Gnome / Nautilus, Kubuntu / KDE / Dolphin / Konqueror, MacOS / Finder).

Thank You! It worked…kind of…

With Tribler 6.5.1. I was downloading few torrents not to a default directory. After moving to Tribler 7 they are inactive- stopped on an error. I tried to copy them to default directory and force recheck but no effect. A bug -I think…
Also BTW- selecting multiple files or downloads is inpossible.

1 Like

Hi!
I have a small observation to share with you.
Somehow you manage to get the correct orange Tribler icon in the Desktop shortcut and in the System Tray, while in the task bar and the Start Menu it looks like an undefined icon.

That’s all for now. :slight_smile:

I have to force shutdown Tribler everytime. It keeps doing everything (UL/DL/CommunityHelp-thingy) as usual with the screen showing force shutdown option. Running on Windows 10 x64 Creators Update. OS has the latest updates.

Everything else works fine. Data doesn’t gets lost after force shutdown but it NEVER gets normal shut down.

I had to make an account just so I could tell you that I love the new dark theme.

… but… The font size/contrast is sub-optimal. I love that I can fit more than a few downloads onto the downloads page but it’s like 8-point, which seems a bit on the small size. Maybe this makes sense in some way that I’m not seeing, sorry for my ignorance.

Thank you very much for a program that allows me to organize my downloads without having to cut and paste after the fact.

Thank you for your feedback! To solve this, we could have some user interface setting where one can specify the font size (small/medium/large or something similar), however, this would take a decent amount of time to implement and we have more pressing issues to work on. Nevertheless, we take your suggestion into consideration!

Thanks for your amazing work, I’m starting to better understand your concept and goals and I hope to contribute even a little to this great community :slight_smile:
I’m sure you’ll help redefine and update current sharing and privacy models, also set the example for a trusted and respectful community is a game changer, too often the luxury of being able to express or use a service is exploited and misused, setting a “moral” principle with the block chain that values users based on their “network” behaviour is a brilliant idea. Hope that this project will grow and evolve even better :slight_smile: