Tribler 7.8.0-RC1 is out today

Dear Tribler Community,

Today we’re releasing Tribler 7.8.0-RC1. This is the first release candidate for 7.8.0 release. It includes a fix for memory leak present in 7.7.x release along other several improvements so if you’re using 7.7.x version, we’d like to ask you to try out this version. We hope that you’ll like it and as always provide us your feedback.

The binaries are available below or can be downloaded from the official release page at Github repository.
Windows(64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

If you encounter any problems using this release, feel free to report back to us. You can either create an issue ticket in Github (link here) or simply post it here in this forum.

For developers willing to contribute to Tribler with bug fixes or new features please check out this page which provides the basic pointers to get started.

And as always, the source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

We hope you’ll enjoy using this version.
Cheers!

Downloaded the installer on Windows 10 from (Tribler 7.8.0-RC1 is out today).
Used 3 different browsers and it was blocked or warned that it was a virus in each.
“Windows (32-bit)” link in post.

@Turtleknee Thank you for your report. We’ll investigate and provide an update if necessary.

If you would like to run from source, you can find the documentation here: https://tribler.readthedocs.io/en/devel/development/development.html

@Turtleknee Thanks to your report, we were able to find the issue why the installer file was flagged to contain malware. I have written about it here: https://github.com/Tribler/tribler/issues/5979

Tribler is open-source software built within academia by scientists and developers who believe in open science and open culture. We do all our development transparently in Github so you can trust us that we’ll never do anything to harm our user’s computer.

I have updated the above with the latest rebuilt installer file, if you could try it out and let us know if it is reported safe by your antivirus, that would be great.

It now downloads without any anti-virus warnings.

Thanks for the great software and work that has gone into it. I assumed it was a false positive virus detection and wanted to live up to my end by doing user testing and reporting.

1 Like