Tribler 7.7.1 bug fix release is out today


Dear Tribler Community,

Today we’re releasing Tribler 7.7.1. This is a bug fix release on 7.7.0 so if you’re using the old version, we’d like to ask you to upgrade. We hope that you’ll like it and as always provide us your feedback.

The binaries are available below or can be downloaded from the official release page at Github repository.
Windows (32-bit)

If you encounter any problems using this release, feel free to report back to us. You can either create an issue ticket in Github (link here) or simply post it here in this forum.

For developers willing to contribute to Tribler with bug fixes or new features please check out this page which provides the basic pointers to get started.

And as always, the source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

We hope you’ll enjoy using this version.


Cheers Triblers, thanks for the good work. Sadly since the upgrade from 7.6 to 7.7 I have a problem.

I have been running Tribler for a long time with approx 120 torrents of which 70% finished and the rest rare stuff I hope will become available again some day. I have been upgrading Tribler for months without problems, but now the following happens:

When I start Tribler it starts fine with a normal memory footprint (like < 0.5 GB). From the start it slowly but steadily grows in memory. Last I saw before going to bed was like 5 GB (my system has 16 GB) and growing. Now in the morning I found Tribler crashed again. I saw the same behavior repeatedly with v7.7.0 and now again with v7.7.1.

By the way: when I say the Tribler crashed I mean the following: before I saw a GUI and Task Manager shows a nested set of “tribler.exe” processes. After the crash I do not have a GUI anymore and see a single “tribler.exe” process remaining. When I start Tribler again a dialog mentions that some process is still running and asks to kill it. When I confirm the kill it complains about a process ID not found and cannot kill it. After I kill it myself and try again Tribler starts fine again and the used memory starts steadily growing again.

Lastly in my %APPDATA% folder in found the “.Tribler” folder and attached tribler-core-error.log (196.3 KB) and tribler-gui-error.log (1.8 KB). The last run started 16/Jan/2021 and ended 17/Jan/2021.

PS: I started cleaning up the torrents and preparing for starting a-fresh with a clean install without migrated data. So any fix for the above: I cannot reproduce and test anymore. Nevertheless something was wrong, I hope the above can help make Tribler better…


Thanks for the extended report. It seems you’re affected by a horrible memory leak that we got in the latest release:

We’ll try to fix it ASAP. Thanks to your report we can narrow it down to the GUI side.


Thanks to your report I was able to fix the leak :+1: