Tribler 7.4.0-noodle2.01 (special science release V2) Please try it out!

Dear Tribler Community,

Below is our second download for scientific research, please try it.

Today we are releasing special science release v2 of Tribler as 7.4.0-noodle2.01. As you might already know, we ship a blockchain called Trustchain which we use for accounting Tribler token balance. Since the balance is used for paying anonymous downloading or seeding, which is used for receiving better speeds, we want to prevent attacks on our blockchain like double-spending & block hiding. At our lab, we developed a few research ideas to provide solutions. This release includes research ideas and solutions on those issues, which may be key to protecting you in the future. We would appreciate if you could try it out and let us know if you have any issues running it. New addition in v2: bug fixing, better offline node handling, and unclaimed transactions are handled smoothly we hope.

The binaries are available below or can be downloaded from the official release page at Github repository.
Windows(64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

If you encounter any problems using this release, feel free to report back to us. We’ll appreciate that. You can either create an issue ticket in Github (link here) or simply reply here in this thread. We would also like to hear from you if it works well for you.

For developers willing to contribute to Tribler with bug fixes or new features please check out this page which provides the basic pointers to get started.

And as always, the source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

Since the last experimental version (7.4.0-exp2) we implemented the version based state directory so it should be safe to upgrade to this version or downgrade to the older experimental version in case something goes wrong.

We hope you’ll enjoy using this version.
Peace

1 Like

@Root Two points for improvement:

1. The settings menu is inaccessible, clicking on the gear icon results in a white rectangle being displayed where the menu is supposed to be.

2. As was the case since Tribler 7.4.0-exp3, the category (status, seeds, peers etc.) by which you can order your downloads doesn’t stay highlighted anymore after clicking it, nor is the direction of ordering indicated.

I downloaded 7.4.0-noodle2 on Windows.
the settings menu does appear normal for me, not like LesVerres reports above. maybe he’s on another OS (Linux?)
I did however notice a problem with character encoding. I had a download in 7.3.2. that contains cyrillic characters. In 7.3.2 stable it displayed correctly in cyrillic. With 7.4.0-noodle2 however the encoding make gibberish of the display name, like “Маша и медведь 40 серия 720p от MegaPeer.mkv”
The created file on disk seems to be correct though: “Маша и медведь 40 серия 720p от MegaPeer.mkv”

Ubuntu 19.10, some crash, a few times allready:

Unhandled error in Deferred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 1267, in run
self.mainLoop()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 1276, in mainLoop
self.runUntilCurrent()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 902, in runUntilCurrent
call.func(*call.args, **call.kw)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/task.py”, line 239, in call
d = defer.maybeDeferred(self.f, *self.a, **self.kw)
— —
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 151, in maybeDeferred
result = f(*args, **kw)
File “/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/pyipv8/ipv8/attestation/noodle/community.py”, line 336, in do_db_cleanup
self.persistence.remove_old_blocks(blocks_in_db - self.settings.max_db_blocks, my_pk)
builtins.AttributeError: ‘NoodleMemoryDatabase’ object has no attribute ‘remove_old_blocks’

ERROR 1578418109.75 tribler_window:108 (root) Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/tribler/TriblerGUI/event_request_manager.py”, line 114, in on_read_data
raise RuntimeError(json_dict[“event”][“text”])
RuntimeError: [Failure instance: Traceback: <class ‘AttributeError’>: ‘NoodleMemoryDatabase’ object has no attribute ‘remove_old_blocks’
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py:1267:run
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py:1276:mainLoop
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py:902:runUntilCurrent
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/task.py:239:call
— —
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py:151:maybeDeferred
/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/pyipv8/ipv8/attestation/noodle/community.py:336:do_db_cleanup
]

also some questions:
1 - log files are GB sized, is that normal?;
2 - in the peer trust graph, i have only 2 peers directly connected to me (the computer is on DMZ on router, so i expected …a lot). So is it a display error or smth. else;

3 - wallet\s dont work, even if bitcoinlib is installed, any hints?