Torrents always stop downloading shortly after starting the program

For the last few weeks, whenever I launch the program, the downloads do start downloading as expected (see pic)

However after a short while (could be five minutes, could be thirty), the download speed goes to zero and even if I leave the program running for hours, it won’t start again.

I have to close the program, and launch it again. Then the downloads will start, and the cycle repeats.

Am I the only one experimenting this? Is there a remedy I couldn’t find while browsing the forum?

I am using Triber 7.13.1, 1 hop of anonymity, no VPN, Windows 10.

2 Likes

Update - I tried downloading the torrents on another computer (same OS, software version, network), and I have the exact same issue. It takes a bit longer before not downloading anymore for some reason, but it ends up the same.

Update 2 - I downdated Tribbler to 7.12.1 and I don’t have the issue anymore.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same thing with Tribler 7.13.2. All torrents stall after a while. Also, CPU usage goes through the roof.

Rolling back to 7.12.1 for now because it still works fine.

1 Like

Same thing on 7.14 though it seems to happen after several hours for me. I’ve tried alternating the bandwidth settings to no avail. I’m using nordvpn as the proxy. CPU usage is 100% when this occurs.

My guess is that it is some sort of network queueing of hopped data. That restarting causes the hopped buffer to flush, whereas waiting causes larger but delayed buffers to flush on a more sporadic timeline.

Close Tribler
Open cmd

del %APPDATA%\.Tribler\trustchain.db /s
del %APPDATA%\.Tribler\*.pem /s

Start Tribler
It doesn’t fix the issue, but it will get your connections and downloading back again for a while.

I have the same issue. Latest version that does not stop downloading is 7.12

Noted that I had a 32GB swap file (I have 16GB of ram). I have a few hundred torrents I guess inside Tribler. Stopping all torrents, including seeding, and only keeping 10 active at any given time seems to have resolved the speed and timeout issue. Note that this was a rather manual process, as it seems Tribler can only perform a bulk action on say 5-15 torrents at a time, then it bails on the rest, and each operation takes up to 30 seconds to apply.

When I would use other torrent clients, they had a queue/active/stale functionality, which it seems Tribler does not have, and as such Tribler overwhelms itself. If this is indeed the case, then the solution to this issue would be implementing the likewise functionality in Tribler, such that you can specify only X amount of torrents should be active at a time, and they go stale after X amount of time of inactivity, in which it opens queue slot up for another.

With 10 torrents active at any given time, Tribler only consumes about 2GB of ram max. Which is where it should be.

Actually, with only 10 torrent, speeds do still degrade over time, and a restart is still necessary.