T 7.1.3: My Channel is not visible :(

Hi all!

I am brandnew to Tribler and i am excited to finally see that there is still a “safe” place for P2P trading.

I have installed Tribler 7.1.3. yesterday and since then it is running. To help the network to grow up (wondered why there are so less content and users, even after years of existance of tribler) i have started my own channel, gave it a topic and description and added about 40 torrents to my channel.

The channel / tribler is now running for at least 12 h since the last restart and i still do not get any subscribers to my channel and i can’t even FIND my channel in the search results, even if i know it should. … The torrents (of my channel) i can find 100% in searches, just the channel itself not. why?

Is there something to take care of or does it just needs time?

Another question:
I want to add about 200-300 local Files to my channel. Actually i need to invest hours to add and create an own torrent file for each datafile to be added to my channel. Horrible!

Why isn’t there an option like the “watch folder” … let’s call it “channel folder” … every file which gets droped there, tribler will automatically check if the file got a torrent already, if not … he will create them. This way i could put 200 files in that folder and some time later i will see they will appear in my channel.

How should tribler get NEW content, when adding a file means to manually create a torrent file for each, this is very destructive.

Or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for helping and answering a tribnoob :wink:

Addition: As noone has answered and tried to help till yet, i came to the idea that i maybe need to forward the ports to get my channel working? In this matter: Is someone at Tribler checking time by time the data on your website and update it? In the FAQ stays:

"The ports Tribler uses depends on the port number configured under Settings, Connection. The default port number is 7760.

The ports actually in use by Tribler, for a given configured port number N, are:

TCP N
TCP (N-1)
UDP N
UDP (N-1)

So for the default configuration that is:

TCP 7760
TCP 7759
UDP 7760
UDP 7759"

But in my fresh and first installation the standard port is: 8085

So i will now forward:
TCP 8085
TCP 8084
UDP 8085
UDP 8084

… let’s see if this will help. :slight_smile:

I am brandnew to Tribler and i am excited to finally see that there is still a “safe” place for P2P trading.

Welcome to Tribler Community

The channel / tribler is now running for at least 12 h since the last restart and i still do not get any subscribers to my channel and i can’t even FIND my channel in the search results, even if i know it should. … The torrents (of my channel) i can find 100% in searches, just the channel itself not. why?

• About the number of subscribers, it depends on other Tribler peers finding your content interesting and actively subscribing. With more time and more interesting content (may be it already is), you could get more subscribers.
  • For channel search, channels with no votes (subscribers) is filtered in the search results which is probably why your channel is not visible. But this behaviour will change in future releases. In fact, we’re working on a big overhaul of channel refactor.

I want to add about 200-300 local Files to my channel. Actually i need to invest hours to add and create an own torrent file for each datafile to be added to my channel. Horrible!

• To add files to channel, currently you’ll first need to create a torrent file including those files. If you want to separate the files into multiple torrents, unfortunately you’ll need to manually create each torrent.

Why isn’t there an option like the “watch folder” … let’s call it “channel folder” … every file which gets droped there, tribler will automatically check if the file got a torrent already, if not … he will create them. This way i could put 200 files in that folder and some time later i will see they will appear in my channel.

• We have watch folder option in Settings -> General. We would like you to try it. We support torrents only.

How should tribler get NEW content, when adding a file means to manually create a torrent file for each, this is very destructive.

• We are always open to suggestions on how we can improve user experience and would appreciate your feedback.

Addition: As noone has answered and tried to help till yet, i came to the idea that i maybe need to forward the ports to get my channel working? In this matter: Is someone at Tribler checking time by time the data on your website and update it? In the FAQ stays:

Yes, default used ports listed 7759 & 7760 are used for peer to peer networking so that other Tribler peers can communicate with your peer. But port 8085 is different. It is only used locally for connecting Tribler core and GUI. Tribler runs core and GUI separately so this port is used for information exchange.

If you’ve more questions or suggestions, please feel free to post it here. We’re currently busy working on a new release of Tribler but we’ll try to be as responsive as possible.

Thank you!

About the number of subscribers, it depends on other Tribler peers finding your content interesting and actively subscribing. With more time and more interesting content (may be it already is), you could get more subscribers.

I bet my contest is interesting. If i check my files (in downloads or if i search for them and find them, i see that the seeds column always shows 0 (0) while the peers column shows values like 0 (n) wile “n” is between 2 and 20. Is that normal after days of running Tribler? … As i am the only one and first who created my torrent file and actively SEEDING … shouldnt the seeds column doesnt show at least ME as seeder , which means 1 (0) or 0 (1) ???

Question regarding this: If i search my files on my own, and find them (but not the channel itself), i see on every file: “unknown health” ! wh??? i am online and actually seeding, health should be green as the files are currently 100% available, not?

For channel search, channels with no votes (subscribers) is filtered in the search results which is probably why your channel is not visible. But this behaviour will change in future releases. In fact, we’re working on a big overhaul of channel refactor.

That’s funny … how should a brandnew channel gets subscribers, when he, the channel, will not be listed until you get subscribers who at first need to FIND and SEE the channel, which is not possible because it does not get listed. Know what i mean? senseless.

By the way: For fun or testing i have added/subscribed my own channel. As i can’t find it using the search function i had to use the identifier id to be able to do so. So my channel got 1 subscriber and still dont get listed or is searchable/findable.

We have watch folder option in Settings -> General. We would like you to try it. We support torrents only.

I know, thanks, but you didnt understand (or me). As i understood the watch folder is just checking if torrent files are in it and then starts do download it, right? But i am talking about the opposite. i want a folder where i can add files and then there will be automatically created torrent files for those and seeding starts. Know what i mean?

Yes, default used ports listed 7759 & 7760 are used for peer to peer networking so that other Tribler peers can communicate with your peer. But port 8085 is different. It is only used locally for connecting Tribler core and GUI. Tribler runs core and GUI separately so this port is used for information exchange.

This confuses me now. You say default ports are 7759 and 7760 UDP and TCP. But inside the program, tribler, the standard port is set to 8085! … Oh ok, just see it, thats just made bad and causes confusions:
SETTINGS -> CONNECTION -> Port (defaults to 8085)
Thats why i thought 8085 needs to be forwarded in my router. Now i see the topic above this entry, saying “GUI/Core connection”

But as user never had to to with tribler, you should also mention at this point that 7759 and 7760 are the standard ports. Am i right? Which ports i should now forward on my router so tribler will run smooth … is 7759/7760 enough or also 8084/8065?

We are always open to suggestions on how we can improve user experience and would appreciate your feedback.

I noticed that if i am searching for a file, lets say UBUNTU, i will find a lot of files and their data and infos about it, but NOT in which channel they are ! Maybe i would be interested not only in this file but also in the whole channel.

example: I search UBUNTU and find it. Inside the file info or below the name of the file, there would be an info sensefull like “this file is listed or oart of the channel: Linux stuff” - want to check or subscribe to the channel? click here!

Know what i mean, sorry my english isnt perfect and its hard to explain thinks.

Thanks for answering and helping! :+1:

Ehmmmm … :thinking: Just found this channel by searching for laser. This channel got only 1 (ONE) subscriber, like mine (myself), and onl got 3 (THREE) items. And it is visible and can be found on searches so more subscribers will come by time automatically.

Now for me:
I have also 1 (ONE) subscriber, but 40+ items, and my channel is NOT visible . Even with free forwarded ports 7759/7760 UDP and 7759/7760 TCP :frowning: So i guess something is going wrong here or where is my fault?

Where the cat bites in her own tail:
You say my channel is not visible because i have no subscribers. If i have not subscribers, my channel is not visible in the searches, therefore i can’t get more subscribers to get my channel foundable … got it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

Another question: What is the channel description for? Can’t see or find any description on any other channel nor how to open/read it. Thanks

AddOn: Could it be, is it possible, that if i am “credit mining”, that my torrents in my channel are NOT seeding?! I just killed my channel and started a new one with new files everyone searches and on every file it says “Seeds 0 (0)” … not at least ME is counted but i am seeding, so it should be at least “1 (0)” or “1 (1)” or whatever the sencond number tells me.

After tons of testing and the realism that Tribler is in the current state and even after years of existance with so little users and so little content absolutely USELESS, i will deinstall it, sadly.

Seen an article in a tech-magazine in my country and had the hope to see a new star at the p2p filesharing heaven … but it fails, fails, fails.

Tribler is not at all recommendable. (see all the problems above, without the fact that extremely too little amount of people use it and the content is like not existable.

Sorry, truth is hard sometimes. Tribler deinstalled … R.I.P Tribler. :frowning:

The value in seeds and peers column indicate the number of seeders or peers you are actually connected to and what libtorrent reports. The value inside the braces is the value reported by libtorrent and should always show higher or equal to the number of peers you’re connected to.

This is possibly a bug on the threshold for accepting a torrent as healthy.

This behavior will change with the next release.

Ah, I understand what you meant. We’ll put it as a feature request. We currently support watching for torrents to download and not the reverse.

Tribler is a p2p system and there is no central server serving the content. Each Tribler peer communicates with other peers using the ports: 7759, 7760. These ports are NAT punctured by Tribler so port forwarding should not be necessary. And the port 8085 you see in the settings is used locally to communicate between the Tribler Core and GUI process. This port is not exposed externally. This separation allows us to test the core and GUI separately and even run Tribler in headless mode.

This is an interesting suggestion. I’ll discuss with the team.

We know. Originally it was placed there to prevent spamming of channels but could have been better implemented. But it will change with the next release as I mentioned already.

Channel description is used as metadata for channels.

The first part is the number of seeds or peers you’re actively connected to, you’re not counted there. However, the second part in braces should at least include 1 peer if you’re seeding the content. Note that it could take sometime for libtorrent to make the content available.

It is sad to read that you did not have a good experience with Tribler but we’re doing our best to deliver a software that anybody can use to search and download torrents with less worries or censorship, from an academic (non-commercial) environment with limited resources at our hand. We continuously depend on our users for reporting bugs and new features.

All the development and discussions we do on Tribler is open source and is present in Github. Feel free to post any issues there.
Also, here you can see what is coming in the new version of Tribler.

Hope to see you again :slight_smile: