OSX 11 El Capitan dirt bagged; Tribler 7.5.1 will not start

Last login: Wed Jun 24 19:34:19 on console
MacHD:~ [user]$ /Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/tribler ; exit;
[PID:16979] 2020-06-26 00:39:34,791 - ERROR <run_tribler:161> root.(): dlopen(/Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/QtCore.so, 2): Symbol not found: __os_activity_create
Referenced from: /Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/…/QtCore (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/…/QtCore
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “run_tribler.py”, line 141, in
File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py”, line 627, in exec_module
File “tribler_gui/tribler_app.py”, line 4, in
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/QtCore.so, 2): Symbol not found: __os_activity_create
Referenced from: /Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/…/QtCore (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)

Import Error

Import error: dlopen(/Applications/Tribler.app/Contents/MacOS/PyQt5/QtCore.so, 2): Symbol not found: __os_activity_create

logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.
Deleting expired sessions…16 completed.

[Process completed]

output from Terminal. Basically the error is that it does not support OSX 10.11 El Capitan. Even if it says so on the Tribler frontpage (“Yosemite or newer”).

So, which is it: Support for OS X 11.6 El Capitan and its a bug, or stick with QtCore built for Mac OS X 10.12 and it’s intentional?

Very sad if you leave El Capitan behind already. A very very well functioning system for older machines still working (2008 - 2012).

1 Like

I agree why leave El Capitan out? is a very robust OSx, that bugs-me?

1 Like

Here is the thing: most os can’t buy new macs OR a newer macOS comes out, so I have 2010 & 2011 MBP that have being working like horses with El Capitan.
Nice that you have the time to make this program to fancy people with money and can buy a new computer, I like what I have El Capitan is a awesome program (more than can I said for many macOS’) and those the job (for most part) can’t use your program!, and I will continue to use what I got?
But since (you said) the woks from Yosemite why don you start macOS Sierra ? that why we don’t have to use the forum to find out that many of us are on El Capitan?

Regards

1 Like

We understand that some people still use macOS El Captain. However, we had to move to a more recent macOS version because of the accumulating problems backporting library dependencies, and because of our major migration to Python 3. Supporting earlier macOS versions would take a disproportionate amount of time from our team, impacting the overall quality of Tribler on every platform. Tribler is a non-profit project, developed by a small team of academic researchers, students and volunteers. Developers’ time is the most precious resource for us. We have to choose very carefully how to spend it.

Having said all that, an alternative is to compile/install Tribler on el Captain by yourself. IIRC, the biggest problem was with packaging, so if you check it out from git and manually install/compile all dependencies, it should work for you. You can find detailed instructions on how to install all dependencies of Tribler here: https://tribler.readthedocs.io/en/devel/development/development.html#macos