I would like to refuse unencrypted torrent downloads through my exit node

I was recently busted by my isp for forwarding an unencrypted torrent download through my exit node. I would like to run an exit node, but I cannot afford to be busted again. Exit Node operators should be able to refuse unencrypted torrent connections for their safety. I recommend using LibreSSL TLS on Tribler’s end since OpenSSL has a long history of vulnerabilities.

Edit: qBittorrent has an anonymous mode that helps to mask your identity, I know it is not perfect, but it would help to use it in the next Tribler update. I linked their wiki page here.

1 Like

I recommend encrypted torrents which are usable by other peers. At the same time using at least 1 hop means more security and 2 hops even more.

Running an exit node is a dangerous business. You should use VPN in this case.

The way Tribler tunnels work now, we’ll have to DPI each packet to drop the non-encrypted connections. That will result in horrible performance drop, since our endpoint uses Python.

Suppose,
A= where file exists.
B= Relay node
C= Exit node
D= Receiver.

Can’t tribler figure out at C, that B is not sending encrypted traffic & reject all of the requests from B until it starts sending encypted traffic?

Sadly this is impossible to do. Exit nodes should never inspect or try to do {semi-}something smart. An exit node simply forwards unencrypted traffic to non-Tribler peers.

We could extend the exit node and have it do protocol handshakes and block traffic which is not using link-level encryption. However, then you are running a Bittorrent node, not an exit node.
-j

1 Like