Documentation and new features

Hello everybody
:slight_smile:

I just signin today.
If this topic isn’t on the right place, let’me know please.

I read english each day, but don’t write o understand it well (movie in english only for example), so I’ll try to be clear.
:panda_face:

I update my Tribler from 7.2.1 to 7.2.2 few hours ago.
I use Windows 64 bits version.
I love the direction chosen by this project, anonymization, resilience, sharing respect, speed also for those who want it, no advertising, continuous development of the software, and so on and so on.
It is really an ambitious project, including intellectually speaking it seems!
:heart:

I seach for a simple summary of the changes, between thoses two minor version and don’t find it.
There is …
A link to “short changelog” that seems perfect.
Explanations are enought for me (“Removed pymdht”, “Fixed python3 and flake8 issue in channelpage.py”, …, i’need not to understand each change) …

Dates here are a bit confusing. That’s not a changelog, maybe some kind of major version changelog?
Is it possible to read a simple summary?
The “complete list of the changes” is designed exactly for developers/programmers, not for the average person.
I didn’t find a post, at this time, on the forum about this 7.2.2.

Do you need help to make documentations, maybe?
User’s community should help i think.

Regarding the credit mining, that’a great idea!

My internet speed is lowwww.
I download all the time with 3 hops to be as anonymous as possible, and I accept that my download speed’ll be slower.
Anyway i download faster than i upload. And, even with a lot of “leechers” waiting on a torrent file i seed, only few leechers begin to download from me and it seems that i share really really slow most of the time. That’s a bit strange.
With that in mind, mining (o doing something to help torrent community / Tribler community / Tribler dev team, to increase my sharing ratio) sound perfect to me.

Hum, miner was active / possible for some times in my Tribler versions but I felt like I was never mine.
Recently, i saw something new …
I search how to begin to mine.
I tried to subscribe to a channel (maybe i do this) clicking on thoses two icons …
And then on the “credit mining” tab, i download some files that i don’t want, just hoping to mine.
Hum, this empirical approach is a little confusing.
:dizzy_face:

I need to read some explanations about mining in Tribler, to understand the purpose and general functioning.
I must have seen the title of a topic explaining that mining will simply be automatically activated, a simple, coherent, perfect idea.
Automatic mine in Tribler seems more natural (and I thought it was this feature that was initially enabled, not the odd way).

I have (at last …) a feature to submit, which already seems to be partially integrated with Tribler itself and/or mining option:
Hard drives are bigger and bigger all the time.
We may choose to provision / reserve some amount of local disk space to act as some kind of cache.
A cache that could be configured in size and orientation…

• I choose to put on my hard drive pieces of what seems to be the most requested around me (inside the Tribler network)
  • I choose to cache what seems rare around me (inside the Tribler network)
  • I choose an intermediary

To almost finish my explanation, we need a parameter to choose which bandwidth will be used in total, and which bandwidth for downloads/uploads.
:heart_eyes:

In a geek way, if i have a server somewhere (linux Debian with console/terminal only), using it for my own things. It could be possible to have “only” Tribler-cache running on it, some analysis of cache efficiency (is it usefull), and that’s all.
I just start the Tribler-cache on it and “forget” it (let it do his job quietly).

It’s not about controling who want what throught my Tribler Client, it’s just speedup what is possible to speed, o have files more resilients.

What do you think about those functionalities please??
I read now this POST …

… makes things a little understandable. Some notions overlap with my cache proposal.

I know that Tribler with this kind of cache control will impose some mecanism to … control this cache.
As a bad guy, i should try to corrupt some cache chunks on my hard drive just because it seems funny, o let the whole thing begin to bug/crash and/or slow every share, etc …
And this will inevitably lead to many other things to monitor, verify, …
I’m trully not a coder :wink:

Woaw.
'hope this post is’t so boring to read. Thank you for doing it :smile:

Good day everybody.
:rainbow:

Thank you for your extensive feedback on Tribler!
We did a big release with lost of exposure. However, with this large-scale usage of our fresh code we also saw some bugs that we never managed to see and fix. We currently pushing hard to do another 7.2.3 bug-fix release. The anonymous downloading and overlay stability is not as good as we want it.

Your thoughts on hard-disk cache and credit mining are great to read. We are striving for making things automated and intuitive, but that will require years of work. Bare with us please…
We even want to empower people with their own private “Tribler proxy” server with only a few button clicks. Think VPN, but then Tor-level privacy and pay for it with Bitcoin.

We are able to expand the team last month, so you can expect the no.1 “anonymous torrent client” to continue to churn out new releases. On the scientific side we’re working hard to create a web-of-trust. Something scientists never been able to do.
Animated .GIF of random walk across trust edges in our integrated blockchain, called Trustchain
-j

Hey, thanx for thoses explanations!

==>

I did not realize the exposure surrounding Tribler recently.
Seeing the network grow must be very interesting, I suppose, and require a lot of time in analysis, measurements, etc. Something time-consuming!

Good news for efficiency, stability of the software / network in the futur

Dev team cannot change / add / optimize everything in every way :smiley:

The principle of having a light “cache” client, without many options, to let work standalone for those who have a vps / server / vm in a corner can allow to multiply the nodes, nodes that would only be there to bring comfort and/or resilience.
Just an idea. If it becomes a reality in 2 years, it suits me well.

The animated GIF is interesting, with a continuous discover / validation process.

Thanx a lot @root
Have a good day