Circumventing central directory servers

How exactly do you circumvent central directory servers, how else do you bootstrap? I don’t really understand your explanation, regarding a key-request. I’m studying Tor as I want to understand how it works, and I don’t trust Tor directory authorities. Tor directory authorities give the Tor Project the ability to know my Tor circuit. With hidden services, you send your hidden service descriptor to HSDir relays which tell the client which introduction points you’re using so they can send you a one time secret and tell you which rendezvous point you’ll use to communicate. As far as I can tell, this is decentralized so long as the client and server are connecting to Tor with a private bridge relay and it’s a stealth onion service with client authorization. When using client authorization, I believe your hidden service descriptor is encrypted with your authentication cookie and forwarded onto the introduction point and eventually onto the client where only the client is able to decrypt and verify the authentication cookie. If I understand this correctly, how does Tribler compare? It’s difficult wrapping my head around all of this, but I won’t give up until I figure it out.

You better address your question on GitHub. The developers responsible for the Tunnels part typically hang around there.

Also, we joined the GitHub Discussions beta that is perfect for this kind of communication!
Enjoy!

1 Like

Sweet, I wasn’t aware GitHub had that in the works. I’ll ask my question there, thank you. :+1:

@thecolorjay could you please add the link to the GitHub Discussion here?

https://github.com/Tribler/tribler/discussions/5540