7.11.0-RC2 is out!

Dear Tribler Community,

Today we’re releasing Tribler 7.11.0-RC2 version. This version includes a tags features where you can add tags to torrents which increases the discoverability and searchability of torrents. We hope you’ll like it. Further, there are several bug fixes and performance enhancements over 7.10.0. Therefore, we’d like to ask you to upgrade and test the version. If you encounter any issues, please let us know. We hope you’ll like the release.

The binaries are available below or can be downloaded from the official release page at GitHub repository.
Windows(64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

Note: Win32 bit version is falsely flagged by some antivirus software. When investigated the issue, we found that the Python builder we use (PyInstaller) is being flagged even for a simple hello world program. So, it is possible that your antivirus might flag Tribler as malware if you’re using the 32-bit version. Therefore, we suggest you to use 64 bit version if you can.

If you encounter any problems using this release, you can either create an issue ticket in GitHub (link here) or simply post it here in this forum.

For developers willing to contribute to Tribler with bug fixes or new features please check out this page which provides the basic pointers to get started.

And as always, the source code can be found on our GitHub repository but you can also download it directly here.

We hope you’ll enjoy using this version.
Cheers!

The Create torrent from file(s) menu will not create torrents if you select a folder with subfolders and files using the ADD DIRECTORY button.

However, a torrent created from a single file is created normally.

Thanks for reporting! This is a well-known problem. The “Create torrent” dialog and its backend code are a complete mess, unfortunately, so it got overlooked over the years.
We’ll fix it in 7.12

Hi, first and foremost I just wanted to say that being able to collapse subfolders in the Files tab of the torrent is really great feature, been looking for that for ages. Thank you for that. However, the Files tab is really laggy (takes 1 or more seconds to refresh) for me when looking at torrent which has more than 30 files/folders, while being butter smooth when there’s only 10 of them (not a new behaviour, though, been like on older versions too). My machine is 10 or so years old, sure, but the growth of the refresh time makes me think you are drawing the tab O(n^2) or O(n^3), definitely not O(n) as one would expect.

What do you mean by “refresh” of the Files tab? Like, opening a folder? The progress bars for files are refreshed automatically when there is a change. Or do you mean like, selecting one torrent’s details (files list), and then switching to another one?

By refresh I mean any of the following: redraw after mouse is moved from one item to the next, redraw after item has been selected by a mouse click, redraw after scrolling with mouse wheel, redraw after scrolling with scrollbar.
Edit: Actually when selecting different torrent, it’s laggy like that too. Between two with ~10 files it’s instantaneous, but if either the original or the new one has ~30 files, it becomes really slow too.

That’s unexpected. We use standard QT stuff. Do you experience the same in the “Download Torrent” dialog? For instance, when you click “Add torrent” and open a torrent file? There is a files list too.

Nope, that one is perfectly smooth on torrent with ~1000 files.

I was able to reproduce that with the (in)famous Prostatex academic torrent that has more than 10k files. If there is more than a single torrent, the performance of the table becomes horribly bad. I’ll try to look into this before the release. Thanks for reporting!

No problem, thanks for looking into it.

I’ll prepare a special build for you in half an hour to try something out. Stay put!

Of course, thank you!

https://jenkins-ci.tribler.org/job/1-Click-Release/272/

This build has completely disabled progress bars in the Downloads tab. Please click around and see if your problem has gone.

Yeah, to say the difference is noticeable would be understatement of the year :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Scrolling is now completely smooth regardless of the file/folder count of the torrent, switching between different torrents is instantaneous.

That’s quite a dilemma: progress bars are a great thing, but we are forced to draw them as widgets, which is super-slow. To fix that, we’ll have to refactor the whole downloads list code, unfortunately (that’s QT, sigh).
I’ll try to produce another experimental build now, that will draw the progress bars dynamically on opening the tree levels. Maybe that would be a nice tradeoff.

Ah, I see, that’s really unfortunate. I personally don’t know if the progress bars are such a big deal, because it seemed to me they do the same thing as just the “% Done”, but I get your point. If you want me to test any builds, just post a link to them, I will be sure to check them out.

Oh, actually one more thing I noticed I wanted to let you guys know about: the icons of ascendancy/descendancy in the whole program seem to be working the other way around, being pointy side up when ordering is descending and pointy side down when ordering is ascending. Not a big deal by a long shot, though.

I tried the tradeoff thing, it did not work :frowning_face:

I’ll just disable the progress bars for the release. These are too much trouble.

And when is 7.12 expected to be released?

Radio buttons are almost invisible.