Tribler 7.1.0 release candidate 1

Hi everyone,

We just released the first RC of Tribler 7.1. We kindly ask your help in testing this release. Please download your respective distribution from here:

Windows (64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

Compared to our last release (Tribler 7.1 beta), we fixed various bugs and replaced the Electrum Bitcoin wallet implementation with another one. We also improved stability on Windows, Mac, and Linux. For more detailed information, please find the changelog here.

If you encounter any problems, please create a new issue on GitHub or post it on the forum, either in this thread or in a separate thread. If you wish to contribute to Tribler by fixing bugs, please check out this page which contains some basic pointers.

The source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

Enjoy!

Hi Devos,

About a month ago, you explained how the token balancing system worked, but I’m under the impression that it currently isn’t counting the way you explained it. When installing this beta, my balance was up hundreds of megabytes. Since then, I’ve downloaded about 2GB in total, mostly using one hop. Nevertheless, after downloading, my token balance was down 12GB.

Thank you for your report. This is not expected indeed. I will try to reproduce it.

About the latest releases (7.1 beta and the next, release candidate 1): there’s a fine increase in the numbers of seeds and peers, so I hoped to see speed improvement too, expecting that more seeds and peers means more multiple connections. Where’s the increase coming from?
The new token balance seems to work with strange data: I can’t figure out what is counted.

Thanks for this release!

I’m fairly new to this, and while I’ve used Tribler in the past this is the first version I’ve used with the “token balance” feature. I’m a little confused by what’s going on with it, but maybe it’s the same bug that the person above was having.

I’m downloading a 1.2 GB file, and had a balance of 0 at the start. Now it’s only 25% done yet my balance is now down to negative 7.7 GB :confused:

Hello! Installed Tribler 7.1.0-rc1 x64 on Windows 10, and I’m unable to make it work. The only thing I see is a message telling Failed to execute script phy_rth_twisted. Similar bug Tribler 7.0.2 x64 on Windows 10. Install location: C:\Program Files\Tribler. No errors in Windows log.
fatal_error

devos50

in the source archives
tribler-7.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
tribler-7.1.0-rc1.zip
the following dirs are empty:

tribler-7.1.0-rc1/Tribler/pyipv8/
tribler-7.1.0-rc1/Tribler/Core/DecentralizedTracking/pymdht/
tribler-7.1.0-rc1/Tribler/dispersy/

i made symlinks to the GIT files, working fine.

ps 1, color schemes would be nice, for tribler as well as for the forum.
i use ‘xcalib -i -a’ on linux to invert all colors for ‘night mode’.

ps 2, i cant download with tribler.
all torrents show ‘unknown health’ or rarely ‘no peers found’.
downloads hang at ‘building circuits’.

I have a problem with Downoloading with Hops. When I start Tribler it downoloads ~50-100MB and then it stops until I restart it. I think it is connected to Token Balance because when it stops I can see that number is updated.
When Triblem is idle Token balance doesn’t increase at all even though token mining is enabled.

can only start tribler as root. Else:

INFO 1538069513.23 single_application:49 (root) self._outSocket.error() = ‘2’
INFO 1538069513.23 single_application:60 (root) init(): returning
INFO 1538069514.27 event_request_manager:148 (TriblerGUI) Will connect to events endpoint
INFO 1538069514.33 event_request_manager:52 (TriblerGUI) Got Tribler core error: 1
INFO 1538069518.28 driver:124 (root) Generating grammar tables from /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/Grammar.txt
INFO 1538069518.31 driver:124 (root) Generating grammar tables from /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/PatternGrammar.txt
Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 428, in fireEvent
DeferredList(beforeResults).addCallback(self._continueFiring)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 321, in addCallback
callbackKeywords=kw)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 310, in addCallbacks
self._runCallbacks()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 653, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
— —
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 441, in _continueFiring
callable(*args, **kwargs)
File “run_tribler.py”, line 70, in start_tribler
session = Session(config)
File “/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/Core/Session.py”, line 72, in init
self.create_state_directory_structure()
File “/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/Core/Session.py”, line 101, in create_state_directory_structure
create_dir(self.config.get_torrent_store_dir())
File “/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/Core/Session.py”, line 95, in create_dir
os.makedirs(path)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/os.py”, line 150, in makedirs
makedirs(head, mode)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/os.py”, line 150, in makedirs
makedirs(head, mode)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/os.py”, line 157, in makedirs
mkdir(name, mode)
exceptions.OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/username

Temporarily disabling observer LegacyLogObserverWrapper(<bound method Session.unhandled_error_observer of <Tribler.Core.Session.Session object at 0x7f8c70c7bdd0>>) due to exception: [Failure instance: Traceback: <type ‘exceptions.AttributeError’>: ‘Session’ object has no attribute ‘lm’
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py:134:err
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/python/threadable.py:53:sync
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py:286:msg
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/logger/_legacy.py:154:publishToNewObserver
— —
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/logger/_observer.py:131:call
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/logger/_legacy.py:93:call
/usr/share/tribler/Tribler/Core/Session.py:209:unhandled_error_observer
]

Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS ; 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64

Thank you for your feedback. We will discuss how to make it more clear how the token balance works. This includes an overview of balance mutations in the user interface and a short description of why balance has increased/depleted by a certain amount. :+1:

Thank you for your report. I’ve created a new issue on our GitHub repository for this, see here. We will look into this.

Thank you for your feedback. Token mining works by joining swarms of torrents that are present in a certain channel and uploading its content to other users. Numerous torrents in a channel are most likely dead (have no seeders). Besides that, token mining only rewards tokens if content is being uploaded to other Tribler users. It is likely that there are not enough Tribler users interested in the content that you are seeding. In the next major release of Tribler, we redesigned the channel mechanism. Combined with our ongoing efforts to prefer sharing popular content, we hope to improve this functionality over time.

Running Tribler for a while should result in tokens, but this highly depends on the anonymity settings of other users. As with the token mining feature, if there are not enough users in the network that send encrypted traffic through your Tribler client, you will not be rewarded and the token balance will not increase. Our research shows that the majority of users download with one-hop anonymity, which only rewards exit nodes and not relay nodes. Our aim is to make this more clear to end users.

Regarding your problem, it might be caused by a lack of exit node availability, or the exit nodes are under a high load. Do you still experience the problem with the latest release of Tribler (see here)?

This error seems to be caused by the following:

exceptions.OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/username’

Could you check the permission of your home directory? I suspect that this directory is owned by the root user. I.e. could you provide us with the output of ls -lah /home/username?

Thank you for answer. I am using 7.1.0-rc1 on Windows 7 x64. Today bahavior is different it is just “Building circuits” forever. I guess It might be lack of exit nodes, Can I somehow check if this is a problem?

/home/cisf drwx------ 57 cisf cisf 16K oct 1 22:06 cisf

drwxrwxr-x 9 cisf cisf 4,0K oct 1 22:00 .Tribler
drwxr-xr-x 5 cisf cisf 4,0K sep 29 11:31 TriblerDownloads
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 6 oct 1 06:43 .Triblerexitnode_cache.dat - i changed it to the user(cisf)

/usr/share/tribler: drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4,0K sep 27 20:31 tribler - guess this is the problem ?

Most likely. If you run Tribler under root, it writes files to the state directory that are owned by the root user. Running Tribler a second time under a non-root user could cause errors when it’s trying to overwrite the files already owned by root.