Tribler 7.1.0 beta release

Hi everyone,

We just released the beta of Tribler 7.1. We kindly ask your help in testing this release. Please download your respective distribution from here:

Windows (64-bit)
Windows (32-bit)
Linux
MacOS

We added some new features in this release:

• The next version of our own blockchain (TrustChain). We use a blockchain to record bandwidth contributions and consumptions.
  • A custom implementation of a DHT community in order to quickly find other peers in the network
  • Credit mining: download and start seeding your favorite content in order to earn bandwidth tokens

Besides that, we fixed numerous bugs and improved stability on Windows, Mac, and Linux. For more detailed information, please find the changelog here.

If you encounter any problems, please create a new issue on GitHub or post it on the forum, either in this thread or in a separate thread. If you wish to contribute to Tribler by fixing bugs, please check out this page which contains some basic pointers.

The source code can be found on our Github repository but you can also download it directly here.

Enjoy!

When I try to download something, it gets stuck at building circuits and never completes. Utorrent works fine though.

Hmm it is likely that one of our IPv8 trackers is misbehaving. I’ve restarted it. Could you try again?

Working now. Is it supposed to download so slowly though, is that to do with the anonymity?
It just stopped, its stuck at 6%.

Good to hear that it’s working now!

Anonymity has it’s price unfortunately. Since you are using a significant higher amount of overall bandwidth when downloading anonymously, your speed will slow down. I manage to reach around 1MB/1.5MB per second at home.

However, the download speed you get will also depend on the number of hops you are downloading with. You can adjust this value in the ‘anonymity’ tab under settings (by default, you download with one hop). For every hop you add, your download speed will likely decrease.

Finally, your (anonymous) download speed depends on your token balance. When downloading anonymous, you ‘pay’ for the used services and a lower token balance gives you less priority and slower download speeds. You can increase you token balance by letting Tribler run idle and act as a so-called relay node (help others to download anonymously).

Hope this helps!

I was getting 200 kb/s while I would get 8 megabytes/second on utorrent.
And its gotten stuck, 0 bytes/second now.

Hmm that’s weird. There are various explanations why a download might get stuck. For instance, the torrent itself is not healthy and has few seeders. Or the exit nodes are down (which is most likely not the case).

Also, we have to update our version of libtorrent. You are running a 32-bit version of Tribler right? Are you able to install and run a 64-bit version instead (this should have more recent libraries)?

Edit: turns out our version of libtorrent is not that old on 32-bit (1.0.8).

It has 2981 seeders (im downloading GTA SAN Andeas from TPB.)

Ok, have you tried to restart Tribler and see what happens?

It might actually be the case that the exit nodes are overloaded since they can host only so-many circuits. I will have to check this out tomorrow.

I just closed it, installed the 64bit version and its working.

Nice! We will eventually get rid of the 32-bit version since a vast majority of users will use the 64-bit version anyway. Please let me know if you encounter any other issues :+1:

1 Like

It stopped again, I have to restart tribler to start the download again

I can’t add magnet links I get the following message.

Tribler cannot download to directory. Please add proper write permissions to the directory or choose another download directory and try to download again.

I am using windows 10 and I have a download going that was added using version 7.0.0.

It doesn’t seem to matter what directory I choose or what permission I add to the download directory.

Thank you for testing out our releases! It could be that there is another underlying error. I will create an issue for it on our issue tracker.