Checkpointing downloads fails

i upgraded now to tribler 7.4.3 but again: all downloads are gone, no token balance ?!

i really appreciate your work, but i am wondering why this software is so buggy (no unit tests/test driven, no e2e tests, no QA?) ? because i really like the idea behind it

If you tried 7.4.2 and lost your balance/downloads, please look at https://github.com/Tribler/tribler/wiki/Getting-back-your-Tribler-state-dir-after-update-to-7.4.2 for the explanation on what happened and how to fix it.

If you did something like 7.4.1->7.4.2->7.4.3 you will still have no balance and have to apply the manual fix described on the wiki. One could say that 7.4.2 “infected” the state dir. To fix the problem, you have to clean it up manually. Introducing an automated fix for that would overcomplicate the upgrade process and attract even more bugs in the future. Also, only about 100 people downloaded the 7.4.2 before we took it down after the reports. Basically, users who reported the problem saved everyone else.

p.s.
Regarding our recent release quality, remind that Tribler is a non-commercial software funded by academic grants. At the moment, the Tribler team includes only a couple of full-time professional developers that are busy refactoring the codebase that is 14 years of experimental stuff written mostly by students and PhDs. So, we have to prioritize…

Recently, we got a big grant so we hope to hire more professional full-time developers this year. However, this takes time. Talent is hard to find and we can’t offer people the same level of salary as e.g. Google or Facebook.

Nonetheless, we’re dedicated to the ideas of privacy and free information exchange. Stay tuned, and again, thanks for timely reports. These days we have to rely on our users’ community more than ever. :+1:

2 Likes

i tried first to set last_version to 7.4.2, then started tribler. same result (no downloads).
then i deleted the file and started tribler 7.4.3 - no downloads.
do i have to first install 7.4.2? in the documentation (your link) is no information what to do when the updated from 7.4.2->7.4.3 already happened. only that before any update is done, one should modify/delete the file. but what to do when it was installed?

I updated the wiki page with instructions for people who already updated 7.4.2->7.4.3. Basically, you have to delete 7.4.3 sub-directory in .Tribler dir and apply the same steps (e.g. change your last_version to either 7.4.0 or 7.4.1 or delete version_history.json).

1 Like

deleting 7.4.3-subdirectoy worked, thanks