Issue connecting Tribler through Non UPnP Firewall.

Comments and or questions about Tribler

Issue connecting Tribler through Non UPnP Firewall.

Postby IntelCoward » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 am

New user trying out tribler after I heard about it today. I am a regular BitTorrent user. I am having a weird problem.

I run a SmoothWall 3 Express Firewall with UPnP shut off for the security reasons.

I changed the Port Settings in Tribler and then opened them in my SmoothWall both TCP and UDP.

I tried to change it again to different ports. I checked all my connections and IPs and all are correct.

Still the program doesn't seem to connect, the icons on the bottom right stay grayed out and none of the channels, but the client is being able to upload.

Any Ideas? Am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a common problem but no matter what I searched for the forum actually blocked all the search terms I could think of.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Re: Issue connecting Tribler through Non UPnP Firewall.

Postby Niels » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 pm

That is indeed very strange. Our new Dispersy protocol would not even need UPnP.
Could you look in your Tribler Debug panel (available after clicking on the Tribler logo), could you tell me if you have a total down > 0?
Or if you have any candidates for your allchannelcommunity? (middle tree, columns are identifier, nr packets, nr candidates, type of community).
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 am

Sorry for the slow response.

No, Total was 0.00 and no channels showed up. Magnet links would also not work. The update in the lower right on the home page is cycling 5 to 1 and looping non stop.

I have tried bypassing my firewall and it works fine, but not a long term solution.

I have also left it on overnight and still no joy.

I have checked all my security software and they are not a problem and I have correctly port forwarded the right port (UDP and TCP). Do you send /request data on any other ports/protocols that might be locking this down?
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:26 pm

If it works without the firewall, then you need to configure your firewall to allow tcp 7760 default port and udp 7759.
If you change your default port only the tcp port will change, but the udp port would still be 7759.
Tribler 5.5.14 will set the upd port equal to the tcp port -1.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:18 pm

I tried that and Magnets still don't work, Torrent Files are picked up but won't download, the icon on the bottom right for port health is smiling and it says it is working. My Outgoing TCP and UDP at TCP-1 are both opened. The update on the home section of the client is still looping 5 to 1.

I looked at my IP and Port traffic going to and from my firewall and noticed something. ports 1103 to the 1440s going to Internet IPs with the default port and others around 7000. They count up in the majority sequentially. could this be the issue?

Could it bee that I like to keep my TCP/UDP ports in the upper 5 digit range?
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am

The 5 digit range should be fine. Did you open upd 7759, in Tribler 5.5.14 the udp port will be tcp-1, but Tribler 5.5.13 still has a fixed value of 7759.
It's very strange that the icon turns to ok, but no connections can be made. It actually turns to ok after receiving a connection which is not initialized by you.

Outgoing connections are allowed right? Or does your firewall only accept incoming?
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 am

The firewall is opened both ways but 7759 UDP wasn't opened either way. Now that you mentioned it I got the client for the first time when .13 or .14 was released but as I launch it now the version numnber in the title bar reads 5.5.10 So that may be why I am having issues. I wil update and make sure I have the right client next time.

I would have noticed before but my eyes are recovering from an injury and I am sometimes missing obvious stuff like that. I will post back with the results.

Sorry I didn't catch this issue earlier.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby IntelCoward » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 am

OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled (including wiping the settings for Tribler) and did some digging and my main 2 browsers weren't handeling Magnet links right. My main had no MIME association for them and the automated handling of it was not working so I had to manually associate it for it to be passed and then picked up by Tribler. My secondary wasn't working at all from what appears to be a bad update.

It is now picking up magnet links, albeit slower than other clients I usually use. The port icon went dark and smiling.

On the home page I am getting 3 "What's Hot" links that appeared to refer to the magnet files I used to test. There are no categories on the categories page.

Now when I try to change the default port it won't take. it keeps changing back to 7760.

Ports TCP 45677, UDP 45676 and 7759 are open both coming and going. Since the client wouldn't let me change the TCP port anymore, I opened the default port 7760 TCP.

I do not get any channels and still the Whats Hot is made up of things I have magnet or torrent filed into it.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 am

If you do not get any channels etc, then it seems that all outbound/inbound UDP traffic is being blocked.
I fixed the port change thingy in the next version.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am

Well it can't be that. I have Vuze running fine on the same network and Steam (and other UDP dependant software) on the PC I am testing this on, which is an XP Pro install. Could it be you are using ports you haven't mentioned and should be open by default for this part of the software that I have have port forwarded to other machines.

For one I noticed in checking my traffic I was getting UDP traffic on the same port number as my 45677 port I used for TCP value. I opened up the UDP and it didn't fix the problem.

I then looked at System Explorer, a Task Manager/utility I use regularly. it has Ports 6875 and 57891 along with the user defined TCP port listening, and I can't find my old IANA list from when I studied networking to ID the port and the Google couldn't find the right list (arrrrgh).

Are these remnant connections from when I was trying to get magnet and torrent files to work or is it other functions connecting?

Or am I stuck in the situation of "I have no bloody idea"... I trained for Customer Support so believe me I understand if you just don't know?

Anyways at this point I think I should be thanking you for your help.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

If you download then new version 5.5.19, then change the port number to something click save -> restart.
Next change the port-number back to your preference click save -> restart.

Then Tribler will be using this port for TCP incoming and outgoing and (this port - 1) for UDP incoming and outgoing. All other ports may be blocked.
Could you try this? Thanks
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

OK, no problem.

I wiped my settings and reinstalled with .19 and the save and restart change on the connection settings works good.

I put in my TCP port as 45677 and UDP as 45676 (and both are forwarded to the right network IP address) and disabled anything else I had opened for Tribler. Magnet links work noticeably faster, but being magnet links that could just be the ones I am testing with.

This time I left the connection speeds at default and they are actually doing OK for "Unlimited" which usually kills client performance in my experience.

Torrent Files also work like they should.

The "Whats Hot" area is still only populating the links from what I added to downloads. I tried disabling the windows firewall. since whitelisting and opening ports through it didn't help and that didn't fix the problem so I can rule that out.

The channels area and searches still get no where.

I then killed every internet and network process I could excpet what I was using to watch traffic and bypassed my Firewall/Switch and went straight to my modem.

I watched as Whats Hot and Catagories populated and then went back to my logs and all that traffic came in on UDP port 7759 and not on my TCP-1. I also checked for my TCP port and it was working too. I did not see UDP 45676 (TCP-1) anywhere.

I set up my firewall and reopened/reenabled port 7759 UDP and now Tibler is working, just with 3 ports to forward not 2.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 am

Turned out that I needed to write the UDP port to another config file. Fixed now, thus the next version will work as expected.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Great. Glad I could help you work out a few kinks while you were helping me get this up and going.

A small UI suggestion for your consideration... put a note mentioning the UDP = TCP -1 in the Connections area of the settings for the people who either don't or won't use UPnP...

For example: "Note: For Tribler to work you must either have UPnP(Universal Plug and Play) enabled in your firewall or 'Open' (aka Port Forwarding) 2 ports. The one set here for TCP connections and that port number -1 for UDP connections. These are the only 2 ports you have to set for the Tribler Client to work."

You can probably come up with something better as I have been up all night fighting with 3 computers and a network share business scanner/printer that is in a few thousand pieces right now and I am finally giving up and replying to you before I fall asleep.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

The thing is, udp should be able to break through most nat-routers. Firewall are something different though, it cannot break a firewall. The firewall thing should be mentioned somewhere.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

The thing is with most firewalls they try to give more granular function and powerful features and it always ends up complicating stuff like NAT transversal and don't get me started on shaping and filtering. They brag about the features but never tell you what the catch is ;-P

Glad my tendency to be the odd duck helped in the end. Thanks for the client and the work you are doing and good luck.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 am

We actually have a setup in our labs of 24 pc connected to the internet using all kinds of different NAT-routers. Without opening any ports, our new udp protocol can make connections between most of them.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Glad to see the forum is back up.

You are lucky to be able to dev on a project with the ability to get that hardware for testing.

In my experience when the roll your own firewalls are either open/UPnP compliant or closed like Fort Knox with a few VERY common presets pre-opened and closeable by the user any time. Maybe you should whip up a Smoothwall, IPCop, and Monowall boxes for some quick tests. If you want to be really geeky you might want to try an Astaro Gateway. Those will get you the vast majority of user done PC Firewalls. You might have to look at the licencing of the Astaro and Smoothwall because they have commercial licencing for business but I don't know their policy to Academia.

This brings me up to my new issue. I have an Ubuntu box on my network that is acting as a jack of all unatended trades from printing to media streaming box. I decided to try the Linux version on it and I am running into the same issues I did on PC. Defualt Ports open and OK but no buzz collection on the home page and when I changed the ports to 5 digit highs (56788 and 56789) no connection.

Have the same problem been in both clients and you have it in the queue for Ubuntu (sorry about the ryhme) or am I just lucky and found another bug?

PS..

Could it be that routers route through their firewall where PC Firewalls partially route and leave the rest to switches? Just a thought.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Postby Niels » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:23 am

Firewalls are completely different problem. We cannot simple breach a firewall, as a firewall is designed to stop traffic.
Again this no-data at all problem you indicate here seems to be a firewall issue. Check if there is any firewall blocking Tribler, even without port forwarding you would still get some data.
Niels
Addict

Postby IntelCoward » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:55 am

Actually You beat me to posting an update. It turns out the ports are downloading and uploading just not showing until I started downloading, it turned out a piece of software I thought I had uninstalled was the culprit. While I wasn't able to get Magnet links to auto import yet, but manual imports work.

I am going to have to install something to log IP traffic to see what is keeping the Whats Hot and Channels from collecting their distributed data. This may take me a while longer as I am only a casual *nix user. Suggestions for a simple IP logging software are welcome and much appreciated.
IntelCoward
Visitor

Return to General