Using VLC for streaming on OSX

My Videoplayer is grayed out on my Tribler OSX installation…

I cannot find clear instructions on how to set up the video player (should be inside the app)… I want to use VLC - is it possible?

thank you
david

Embedding VLC was not possible in OSX.

I can’t remember if it’s possible to use an external VLC for streaming anyway nor if it it needs any manual configuration. I’ll check on Monday.

Hi @davidhq. I think it is possible to use an external VLC, but I am not sure. You can have a try.

Hi,

Any inputs on how to do that ?
Tribler always try to launch Quicktime, even if it is not the default player for a given video format, and fails to read the file…

I would like very much to have Tribler lauching external VLC.

Thanks for any help !
++
Daxid

It should play with the builtin VLC player, I guess you are running a bugged version of Tribler.
Could you see if this build works for you? It contains some unreleased fixes for the builtin player on Windows.

Have in mind that if you where running a stable release (6.4.X or older) this version will upgrade the on disk format of Tribler’s state dir so you won’t be able to go back to an older version. Make a backup if you want to have this possibility.

Thanks for your answer.

However this topic is about an OSX installation. I realise just now that OP did not mention it in the title.

VLC seems not embedded in OSX and I can’t select wich external player to launch. Tribler always try to launch Quicktime, even if it is not the default player for a given file type. I don’t think it is possible to define a default video player system wide in OSX…

Long thing short, I can’t have streaming working so far.

Best regards

Daxid

Oops my bad, sorry :smile:

Yes, the OSX version of Tribler doesn’t come with the embedded VLC player due to bugs related to WX2.8 (the gui toolkit Tribler uses). We have a patch almost ready ready to be merged that should be there for the release after 6.5 which upgrades Tribler to 64 bit and WX3. Maybe then we can have a look at if it’s possible to ship the embedded player on OSX too.

Looking at the code, if Tribler finds /Applications/VLC.app it will use that instead of Quicktime.

Is your VLC installed there?

You rock !

My VLC was in a subfolder of Applications. I moved it back in Applications and it did the trick.
I

Thanks !!

Glad to hear it worked! :smile: