Tribler 6.5-RC2 ready for testing!

We need testers for the next upcoming release!

The list of closed issues for this release can be checked here.

What is new:

• Tons of minor improvements and bugfixes (over 1100 commits, 6 months of work).
  • Major improvements to the anonymous downloading and hidden seeding.
  • Significant improvements to the CPU usage (~8% usage of a single i7 core).

WIP: We’re setting up a network of fast exit and intermediate nodes to help with the initial boosting of the anontunnel community while the community is too small. This is NOT completely live yet. So you can still expect poor anonymous download performance. That will improve when more nodes get added.

See here for a detailed changelog

How to report issues or suggest improvements:

Go to Tribler’s issue tracker

1. Check if the issue you are experiencing/improvement idea has beenreported. (check closed issues in case the fix has already been commited).

2. If not, create a new issue with the following info:

3. Description of the issue.

4. Version of tribler you are running (if you are running from git, branch and revision).

5. OS you are running and version.

6. Steps to reproduce the issue.

7. Special setup if you have any (like stuff in separate partitions or removable media, FUSE file
    systems like TrueCrypt, etc…)

The installers/packages for Linux, OSX and Windows can be downloaded here.

Thanks a lot for your help! :wink:

Older versions works just fine
This version however every time i try to start it crashes and give this error message

tribler.exe.log
ERROR 1438951462.15 tribler:21 Unable to use wxversion, Error: %s.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “tribler.py”, line 19, in
File “wxversion.pyo”, line 152, in select
VersionError: Requested version of wxPython not found
File “Tribler\Main\tribler_main.pyo”, line 174, in init
File “Tribler\Core\Session.pyo”, line 422, in start
File “Tribler\Core\APIImplementation\LaunchManyCore.pyo”, line 101, in register
File “Tribler\Core\leveldbstore.pyo”, line 72, in init
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xf6’ in position 17: ordinal not in range(128)
File “Tribler\Main\tribler_main.pyo”, line 901, in OnExit
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute 'db’
File “Tribler\Main\tribler_main.pyo”, line 1062, in run
File "Tribler\Main\vwxGUI_init
.pyo", line 128, in invoke_func
File “Tribler\Main\tribler_main.pyo”, line 906, in OnExit
File “Tribler\Core\Session.pyo”, line 432, in shutdown
File “Tribler\Core\APIImplementation\LaunchManyCore.pyo”, line 658, in early_shutdown
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘close’

It seems your user directory is in a path with non-ascii chars?

A couple of fixes have just been commited to the next branch which should both issues you are having. RC3 should be working fine for you (will be released early next week if no more issues arise).

Can’t wait to try it thanks :smiley:

I have hard time with Tribler 6.5.0-rc2.

1. Any torrent added remain stuck in Building circuits status, nothing happens. 0% downloads even if the health of the torrent file is optimal.
  2. The start-up time of the app have increased, i use an AMD A6 5200 with 8GB DDR3 plus 256GB Samsung SSD Pro, but it takes to long to start the app on Windows 10 Pro.
  3. At the exit of the app the same thing as at 2nd point, it takes to long, and it crash. I can’t attach the log file here because i’m new on this forum.
  4. Please remove the startup and exit splash screens and make it faster as possible.
    L.E. 6.4.3 was working just fine, but after upgrade to 6.5.0-rc2 even if i downgrade to the 6.4.3 clearing the registers, and apps file 6.4.3. is not usable anymore.
  1. That may not be a bug, have in mind there’s almost nobody on the anontunnel community as it’s only available on this RC. So if there’s nobody (or very few) online peers, Tribler will have a hard time finding enough peers to build the circuits.

2. We haven’t tested Tribler on windows 10 yet. Do you have any other OS where you could compare the performance against? In our experience 6.5 has gotten faster if anything.

3. Yes, shutdown time can be improved, but it’s not too high on our TODO list. It would help make the test runs faster. About uploading the log, you could use pastebin or similar and link it here, you should get permission to upload files on the forum pretty soon if you keep posting useful stuff :smile:
    That said, you would make our lives easier if you opened an issue at https://github.com/Tribler/tribler/issues for each problem you find.

4. We won’t be removing the splash screen as that wouldn’t improve startup/shutdown times in any kind of way.
    Also, downgrading is not supported as we usually do non backwards compatible changes to the on-disk data (DB schema changes, moving all the thumbnails and collected torrent files to levelDB databases, etc.)
    If you can’t wait to get the issues you have with RC2 fixed, you will have to go to your user’s %APPDATA% dir and rename the .Tribler dir to something else to start from scratch.
    Have in mind that if you own a channel or want to keep your identity, you will have to do further steps (tell me if you are interested).

Thanks for testing Tribler!

If you install 6.5-RC2 to the default location on Windows 7, it is unable to write the log files because the Program Files directory is write protected.

I had to install it to another directory like C:\Tribler

Yeah, we are aware of that, Lipu is working on that as I write.