The exit node thing

Tribler seems to getting a lot of criticism in Reddit. These complaints seems to be exclusively from Americans who claim to be getting copyright violation notices from their ISPs when they use Tribler. They claim that their IP address is used by Tribler as an exit node, some claim that every Tribler user is used as an exit node. What I want to know is is this problem confined to the anonymous feature or is it a problem with the non-anonymous use of Tribler. Specifically, If the anonymous slider is set to zero on all my downloads, will Tribler use my IP address as an exit node?

Personally I don’t care about violation notices as I live in a country where the government does not give a damm about copyright. They do however, block web pages for political reasons. They will block Pirate Bay if they ever find anti-government material on it, Tribler offers a way round this problem.

The current release will act as an exit node if you opt-in the first time Tribler starts. (As it’s explained on the window that pops up) The current pre-release has an improved version of the tunnel community that allows you to act as an intermediate node but not as an exit node (Default behavior). In this next version you have to explicitly go to the settings panel and enable the exit node feature, which in many countries it’s really not a good idea.

Thanks for clearing that up. So, all that anybody needs to do is uninstall and then reinstall without opting into the anonymous feature. I’ll try that with the new release.

1 Like

Nope, reinstalling won’t help as this is a user setting. With current stable you need to go to ```%APPDATA%/roaming/.Tribler/libtribler.conf`` and disable the tunnel community:

[tunnel_community]
optin_dialog_shown = True
enabled = False

For the next release (current RCs), no action is needed (The exit node part of the tunnel community comes disabled by default and if you really want to act as an exit node, you have to go to the settings panel and enable it there).

Understood, this does not effect me personally, I just wanted to know how it works.

try to download via annom,but no download started as it halt at “building circuits” since 3 days ago…any idea? if i put annom at no…i will able to download BUT my IP will be shown at http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com/?hash=00f6077ddf09e72336f6ba07f0671c90f2f846fb#

Which Tribler version are you running?

Rc4,the latest ver. it’s related to Peerblock…if i used it…tribler will not able to complete the circuit.

Then I would check what is peerblock blocking from Tribler on its logs.

I am new to this forum and I’ve encounted a launch problem. The first time Tribler starts, an anonymity notice crops up, and then comes nothing. No launching window or else. I’ve tried uninstalling or reuninstalling, but it wouldn’t open. I’ve noted that W suggests that one go to the config file. However, I failed to locate it even in ‘stealth’ mode. Curiously, the previous version launched immediately. I’ve rebooted my Win7, and still the same thing. I’ve also checked the quarantine folder in my antivirus application, and it shows nothing, though earlier it detected a possible trojan inside the package, which I preferred to ignore. What could be wrong?

Could you create an issue at our github project page? Please, make sure to read the guidelines so you provide us with all the necessary info.

Also, try not to highjack an older topic for an unrelated post, just create a new one.

Thanks!