So, how anonymous is this?

I had a look at the technical stuff you provide about doing p2p anonymously. I can’t claim I really understand it though. Can someone please explain how exactly this chain of nodes thing is going to protect you?..

It seems to me that all it does is get me in trouble for someone else’s “activities” and someone else for mine. Unless, of course, the very first node already belongs to a troublemaker - in which case I may get in trouble for my own activities, right?

So when trouble comes to me, I just say “I was using tribler at that time. You got the wrong person.” and problems are solved? Or am I missing something?

You are not required/encouraged to enable the exit node feature as you can’t control what other people will download trough you and that will get you in trouble in most countries. That’s why we tell you about it when starting Tribler for the first time and the “cancel” button is the focused by default. In the upcoming release, we don’t even ask you for it. It comes disabled by default and you have to go to the settings window and enable it (people where not reading the popup window, and just clicked on “accept” so they got in trouble).

Tribler also supports end to end encrypted downloads where an exit node is never used and Tribler will act as intermediate node for this kind of traffic.

When you add a tunneled download in Tribler, it will try to use both exit nodes and fully encrypted circuits but most of the bandwidth will come from people running exit nodes until the Tribler network grows to a big enough size (This feature is quite recent).

I hope this makes it clear for you. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

If you are not really sure of being 100% anonymous thru Tribler use an inexpensive VPN that approves of p2p for extra security.